20.2.06

Bag-ette

I'll stage a more interesting action shot once it has dried, but here's part of what I did this weekend. Mom and Dad gave me Knit One, Felt Too and the yarn to make this pattern from it for Christmas! I really like it. I finished the knitting in the early days of January, but waited until now to do the felting.
-
I started the job by hand in the sink, which worked well up to a point, then I switched to boiling on the stove with occasional cold water rinses, then kneaded and worked it by hand for a while. All of this was pretty successful (although tiring), but it seemed like the wool just reached a point where I couldn't get it to seize up anymore. I tested it out for size, and it was still 2 inches larger than the pattern called for, and although I happened to like the size a lot, I was afraid it would stretch too much with use since the felted fabric wasn't very dense. So I let it sit overnight, and then went to the laundromat the next day. I was a little concerned it wouldn't felt much in the machine because there was no selecting the load size. But the suds and mechanical agitation did the trick, and it felted down (felted up?) the two more inches.
-
loose and floppy before- - - - - - trim and shipshape after!
-
-
I decided to leave the rolled brim unrolled - I enjoy being able to see more of the lime color. I'll have to keep my eyes open for some neat beads for the points of the green triangles (or not - I do like it the way it is), and also pick up a little magnetic closure or something, to keep things inside.

No comments: